Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Predoctoral Training in Computation, Bioinformatics & Statistics seeking grad students


Penn State was recently awarded the NIH predoctoral (T32) training grant: Computation, Bioinformatics and Statistics (CBIOS) Training Program, led by Ross Hardison, Debashis Ghosh, and Cooduvalli Shashikant. They are now seeking to recruit talented students, and are specially seeking students interested in cross-disciplinary research. To be eligible for the training program, one should be admitted to one of the six participating graduate programs including IBIOS-BG (the option where I did my PhD!!), with emphasis on individuals from underrepresented groups, and US citizens. The first year students apply to the program in the fall semester and begin training in spring semester. They will be supported for two years from CBIOS funding. 

You can read more about the training program here: 

I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a graduate student in the Bioinformatics and Genomics (BG) option, and highly recommend it to any undergraduates considering graduate school. Penn State has excellent research programs and brilliant faculty, but that isn't enough. What set Penn State apart was how inclusive an environment it was. As a graduate student I felt like my opinions and ideas were valued. The culture at Penn State encouraged me to learn from my mistakes, and to comfortable admitting when I didn't know something. I was encouraged to be proactive in my training, coursework, and planning my own research. 

If you are (or know of) a stellar undergraduate interested in studying bioinformatics, please apply (or encourage them to apply) to this program.

1 comment:

strangetruther said...

Any chance of squeezing Prof Padian in on that course? It would be nice if he learned something about it before he retired.