Thursday, April 7, 2011

2680 versus 3552

Perhaps it is a little insane, but we are planning to drive across the country with two dogs and a baby in approximately three weeks. We've allowed ourselves a good amount of time, but I'm torn. One part of me thinks it will be so much fun to see the country and stop everywhere, and the other part is worried about changing diapers, a crying baby, antsy dogs, and finding hotels. For now, however, I'm trying to balance my realism and optimism. 

If necessary, we can make it in a strait shot:



Alternatively, we can take a lot of detours to see family, and the country:

The first trip is 2680 miles, while the second is 3552 miles (not counting any pit stops or detours we may take. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the baby and dogs allow us to get through. 

7 comments:

Mike Russo said...

If you don't mind me asking, what is this trip for? Are you moving!?

mathbionerd said...

Yep, we're moving to Berkeley, CA!!

EllenQ said...

When we did our big move it was over Christmas and so several people that we thought about seeing along the way weren't available. I have always thought it would be so much fun to take a leisurely drive across the country and stop on a whim. This is such a great reason for you to try it!

Having said that, I have no concept of the traveling with a baby challenges.

Mike Russo said...

Well congratulations then!

mathbionerd said...

Ellen, I don't either! We're optimistic, but may be in way over our heads! I do hope we're able to be leisurely with it. :)

Unknown said...

I'll will hope for leisurely as well. I will be in mesa, AZ at a swim meet April 27th to the 30th. I think I will be there a bit before you - which is too bad, since it would be fun to see you and meet your family.

Best wishes for a safe and smooth trip!

--mj

Anne said...

You should have good weather for taking the longer route and seeing friends and family. It might be a while before you see these people and they'll be able to see Claire. And hopefully they'll have space for you and you won't have to worry as much about hotels. I say take the longer route if your time - and the baby & dogs - permit!