Monday, May 3, 2010

Adventures in baking

I've given up caffeine the past couple of months, and yes that includes caffeine, so I've been working on finding other tasty drinks/sweets to take the place of caffeine-filled delicacies.

This is inspiring me to get back into cooking. I really enjoy cooking, not enough to devote an entire blog to it, but you'll definitely see food pop up here now and again. I haven't felt so great, so have slacked off of cooking for the past few weeks. Still feeling a little queasy, but in a mood to get back on the horse, as it were.

Yesterday I made some rockin' oatmeal raisin cookies (and chocolate chip oatmeal for Scott, who has not given up caffeine).

Today I'm making pizza (dough completely from scratch), cheesy potatoes, and testing out three kinds of bread: 1) italian spices, 2) raisin, 3) regular white bread.

The cheesy potatoes are something my mom used to make growing up and I loved them.

Here's the recipe I've worked out so far, with advice from my mom. I haven't done the calorie count, but as far as cheesy potatoes goes, they aren't terrible:

Melissa's cheesy potatoes:
4 medium potatoes, cleaned, skinned and diced
2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
pepper to taste
shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar is good, but anything you like will work)

1. Boil diced potatoes until just fork tender, then drain and place in 8x8 glass oven-safe pan
2. In a separate pan make a roux of the flour and melted butter on medium low
3. Add 2 cups milk to the roux
4. Cook milk mixture until it thickens on medium
5. Add pepper to taste to the milk mixture (you can also add salt and garlic powder if you like)
6. Pour thickened milk mixture over potatoes (note potatoes will still be slightly firm, so will soak up additional liquid from the milk mixture)
7. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 20 minutes
8. Uncover, top with shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes, or until crispy on top (if you like it crispy)

And deliciousness!

No comments: